- Advanced search
Unless otherwise stated all data on this page refer to the human proteins. Gene information is provided for human (Hs), mouse (Mm) and rat (Rn).
The composition and stoichiometry of bitter taste receptors is not yet established. Bitter receptors appear to separate into two groups, with very restricted ligand specificity or much broader responsiveness. For example, T2R5 responded to cycloheximide, but not 10 other bitter compounds , while T2R14 responded to at least eight different bitter tastants, including (-)-α-thujone and picrotoxinin .
Specialist database BitterDB contains additional information on bitter compounds and receptors .
1. Behrens M, Brockhoff A, Kuhn C, Bufe B, Winnig M, Meyerhof W. (2004) The human taste receptor hTAS2R14 responds to a variety of different bitter compounds. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 319 (2): 479-85. [PMID:15178431]
2. Chandrashekar J, Mueller KL, Hoon MA, Adler E, Feng L, Guo W, Zuker CS, Ryba NJ. (2000) T2Rs function as bitter taste receptors. Cell, 100 (6): 703-11. [PMID:10761935]
3. Kinghorn AD, Pan L, Fletcher JN, Chai H. (2011) The relevance of higher plants in lead compound discovery programs. J. Nat. Prod., 74 (6): 1539-55. [PMID:21650152]
4. Slack JP, Brockhoff A, Batram C, Menzel S, Sonnabend C, Born S, Galindo MM, Kohl S, Thalmann S, Ostopovici-Halip L et al.. (2010) Modulation of bitter taste perception by a small molecule hTAS2R antagonist. Curr. Biol., 20 (12): 1104-9. [PMID:20537538]
5. Wiener A, Shudler M, Levit A, Niv MY. (2012) BitterDB: a database of bitter compounds. Nucleic Acids Res., 40 (Database issue): D413-9. [PMID:21940398]
Database page citation:
Taste 2 receptors. Accessed on 26/04/2017. IUPHAR/BPS Guide to PHARMACOLOGY, http://www.guidetopharmacology.org/GRAC/FamilyDisplayForward?familyId=117.
Concise Guide to PHARMACOLOGY citation:
Alexander SPH, Davenport AP, Kelly E, Marrion N, Peters JA, Benson HE, Faccenda E, Pawson AJ, Sharman JL, Southan C, Davies JA and CGTP Collaborators (2015) The Concise Guide to PHARMACOLOGY 2015/16: G protein-coupled receptors. Br J Pharmacol. 172: 5744-5869.