- Advanced search
Unless otherwise stated all data on this page refer to the human proteins. Gene information is provided for human (Hs), mouse (Mm) and rat (Rn).
The sarcoplasmic/endoplasmic reticulum Ca2+-ATPase (SERCA) is an intracellular membrane-associated pump for sequestering calcium from the cytosol into intracellular organelles, usually associated with the recovery phase following excitation of muscle and nerves.
The plasma membrane Ca2+-ATPase (PMCA) is a cell-surface pump for extruding calcium from the cytosol, usually associated with the recovery phase following excitation of cells. The active pump is a homodimer, each subunit of which is made up of ten TM segments, with cytosolic C- and N-termini and two large intracellular loops.
Secretory pathway Ca2+-ATPases (SPCA) allow accumulation of calcium and manganese in the Golgi apparatus.
1. Chong X, Rahimtula AD. (1992) Alterations in ATP-dependent calcium uptake by rat renal cortex microsomes following ochratoxin A administration in vivo or addition in vitro. Biochem. Pharmacol., 44 (7): 1401-9. [PMID:1417961]
2. Hu Z, Bonifas JM, Beech J, Bench G, Shigihara T, Ogawa H, Ikeda S, Mauro T, Epstein EH. (2000) Mutations in ATP2C1, encoding a calcium pump, cause Hailey-Hailey disease. Nat. Genet., 24 (1): 61-5. [PMID:10615129]
3. Lytton J, Westlin M, Hanley MR. (1991) Thapsigargin inhibits the sarcoplasmic or endoplasmic reticulum Ca-ATPase family of calcium pumps. J. Biol. Chem., 266 (26): 17067-71. [PMID:1832668]
4. Seidler NW, Jona I, Vegh M, Martonosi A. (1989) Cyclopiazonic acid is a specific inhibitor of the Ca2+-ATPase of sarcoplasmic reticulum. J. Biol. Chem., 264 (30): 17816-23. [PMID:2530215]
5. Singh P, Mhaka AM, Christensen SB, Gray JJ, Denmeade SR, Isaacs JT. (2005) Applying linear interaction energy method for rational design of noncompetitive allosteric inhibitors of the sarco- and endoplasmic reticulum calcium-ATPase. J. Med. Chem., 48 (8): 3005-14. [PMID:15828839]
6. Tóth A, Kedei N, Szabó T, Wang Y, Blumberg PM. (2002) Thapsigargin binds to and inhibits the cloned vanilloid receptor-1. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun., 293 (2): 777-82. [PMID:12054538]
Database page citation:
Ca2+-ATPases. Accessed on 30/04/2017. IUPHAR/BPS Guide to PHARMACOLOGY, http://www.guidetopharmacology.org/GRAC/FamilyDisplayForward?familyId=159.
Concise Guide to PHARMACOLOGY citation:
Alexander SPH, Kelly E, Marrion N, Peters JA, Benson HE, Faccenda E, Pawson AJ, Sharman JL, Southan C, Davies JA and CGTP Collaborators (2015) The Concise Guide to PHARMACOLOGY 2015/16: Transporters. Br J Pharmacol. 172: 6110-6202.