- Advanced search
The sugar alcohol D-myo-inositol is a component of the phosphatidylinositol signalling cycle, where the principal second messenger is inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate, IP3, which acts at intracellular ligand-gated ion channels, IP3 receptors to elevate intracellular calcium. IP3 is recycled to inositol by phosphatases or phosphorylated to form other active inositol polyphosphates. Inositol produced from dephosphorylation of IP3 is recycled into membrane phospholipid under the influence of phosphatidyinositol synthase activity (CDP-diacylglycerol-inositol 3-phosphatidyltransferase [EC 184.108.40.206]).
* Key recommended reading is highlighted with an asterisk
* Barker CJ, Berggren PO. (2013) New horizons in cellular regulation by inositol polyphosphates: insights from the pancreatic β-cell. Pharmacol. Rev., 65 (2): 641-69. [PMID:23429059]
* Billcliff PG, Lowe M. (2014) Inositol lipid phosphatases in membrane trafficking and human disease. Biochem. J., 461 (2): 159-75. [PMID:24966051]
* Chiu CT, Chuang DM. (2010) Molecular actions and therapeutic potential of lithium in preclinical and clinical studies of CNS disorders. Pharmacol. Ther., 128 (2): 281-304. [PMID:20705090]
Ooms LM, Horan KA, Rahman P, Seaton G, Gurung R, Kethesparan DS, Mitchell CA. (2009) The role of the inositol polyphosphate 5-phosphatases in cellular function and human disease. Biochem. J., 419 (1): 29-49. [PMID:19272022]
Parry RV, Harris SJ, Ward SG. (2010) Fine tuning T lymphocytes: a role for the lipid phosphatase SHIP-1. Biochim. Biophys. Acta, 1804 (3): 592-7. [PMID:19782768]
Pasquali L, Busceti CL, Fulceri F, Paparelli A, Fornai F. (2010) Intracellular pathways underlying the effects of lithium. Behav Pharmacol, 21 (5-6): 473-92. [PMID:20700048]
* Pirruccello M, De Camilli P. (2012) Inositol 5-phosphatases: insights from the Lowe syndrome protein OCRL. Trends Biochem. Sci., 37 (4): 134-43. [PMID:22381590]
* Schell MJ. (2010) Inositol trisphosphate 3-kinases: focus on immune and neuronal signaling. Cell. Mol. Life Sci., 67 (11): 1755-78. [PMID:20066467]
Database page citation:
Inositol phosphate turnover. Accessed on 24/04/2017. IUPHAR/BPS Guide to PHARMACOLOGY, http://www.guidetopharmacology.org/GRAC/FamilyDisplayForward?familyId=245.
Concise Guide to PHARMACOLOGY citation:
Alexander SPH, Fabbro D, Kelly E, Marrion N, Peters JA, Benson HE, Faccenda E, Pawson AJ, Sharman JL, Southan C, Davies JA and CGTP Collaborators (2015) The Concise Guide to PHARMACOLOGY 2015/16: Enzymes. Br J Pharmacol. 172: 6024-6109.