- Advanced search
Unless otherwise stated all data on this page refer to the human proteins. Gene information is provided for human (Hs), mouse (Mm) and rat (Rn).
This family of enzymes, also known as sphingosine N-acyltransferase, is located in the ER facing the cytosol with an as-yet undefined topology and stoichiometry. Ceramide synthase in vitro is sensitive to inhibition by the fungal derived toxin, fumonisin B1.
1. Lahiri S, Futerman AH. (2005) LASS5 is a bona fide dihydroceramide synthase that selectively utilizes palmitoyl-CoA as acyl donor. J. Biol. Chem., 280 (40): 33735-8. [PMID:16100120]
2. Laviad EL, Albee L, Pankova-Kholmyansky I, Epstein S, Park H, Merrill Jr AH, Futerman AH. (2008) Characterization of ceramide synthase 2: tissue distribution, substrate specificity, and inhibition by sphingosine 1-phosphate. J. Biol. Chem., 283 (9): 5677-84. [PMID:18165233]
3. Mizutani Y, Kihara A, Igarashi Y. (2005) Mammalian Lass6 and its related family members regulate synthesis of specific ceramides. Biochem. J., 390 (Pt 1): 263-71. [PMID:15823095]
4. Mlinar B, Corradetti R. (2003) Endogenous 5-HT, released by MDMA through serotonin transporter- and secretory vesicle-dependent mechanisms, reduces hippocampal excitatory synaptic transmission by preferential activation of 5-HT1B receptors located on CA1 pyramidal neurons. Eur J Neurosci, 18: 1559-1571. [PMID:14511335]
5. Rabionet M, van der Spoel AC, Chuang CC, von Tümpling-Radosta B, Litjens M, Bouwmeester D, Hellbusch CC, Körner C, Wiegandt H, Gorgas K et al.. (2008) Male germ cells require polyenoic sphingolipids with complex glycosylation for completion of meiosis: a link to ceramide synthase-3. J. Biol. Chem., 283 (19): 13357-69. [PMID:18308723]
6. Riebeling C, Allegood JC, Wang E, Merrill Jr AH, Futerman AH. (2003) Two mammalian longevity assurance gene (LAG1) family members, trh1 and trh4, regulate dihydroceramide synthesis using different fatty acyl-CoA donors. J. Biol. Chem., 278 (44): 43452-9. [PMID:12912983]
7. Venkataraman K, Riebeling C, Bodennec J, Riezman H, Allegood JC, Sullards MC, Merrill Jr AH, Futerman AH. (2002) Upstream of growth and differentiation factor 1 (uog1), a mammalian homolog of the yeast longevity assurance gene 1 (LAG1), regulates N-stearoyl-sphinganine (C18-(dihydro)ceramide) synthesis in a fumonisin B1-independent manner in mammalian cells. J. Biol. Chem., 277 (38): 35642-9. [PMID:12105227]
Database page citation:
Ceramide synthase. Accessed on 29/04/2017. IUPHAR/BPS Guide to PHARMACOLOGY, http://www.guidetopharmacology.org/GRAC/FamilyDisplayForward?familyId=789.
Concise Guide to PHARMACOLOGY citation:
Alexander SPH, Fabbro D, Kelly E, Marrion N, Peters JA, Benson HE, Faccenda E, Pawson AJ, Sharman JL, Southan C, Davies JA and CGTP Collaborators (2015) The Concise Guide to PHARMACOLOGY 2015/16: Enzymes. Br J Pharmacol. 172: 6024-6109.